I love trees. I love things that grow on trees. Since its winter here in Sydney and the leaves have all fallen off the trees (and collected in my back yard) I felt inspired to create this leafy salad – and simple is always best. Apart from the avocado, peas and fennel which I got from my fantastic local store Maloneys Grocer, Ill try not to feel too proud when I mention that the lettuce leaves, kale and mint are all from my garden 😉
- 1 baby gem lettuce
- 2 kale leaves
- ½ avo
- ¼ fennel bulb
- ½ cup green peas
- handful mint leaves
- handful pumpkin seeds
- red chilli, deseeded
- squeeze of lemon and drizzle of honey
- salt, cracked pepper, olive oil
- Once the lettuce and kale have been washed, detach the baby gem leaves and lay in a flat plate.
- Thinly slice the fennel, kale and avo and scatter them into the lettuce leaves.
- Sprinkle in the mint, peas, pumpkin seeds and finely diced chilli.
- To balance the flavours, squeeze in the juice of half a lemon along with a splash of olive oil and a drizzle of honey.
- Season to taste and enjoy with a fillet of salmon or roast chicken.