Waste is my worst. Admittedly, I sometimes take this a little too far. But when I discovered that my milk had gone off, I put my frugalness to good use, googled (merely out of interest) how I could remedy this problem… and made some cottage cheese! The domestic goddess that I am
- 1 L sour full cream milk
- squeeze of lemon or dash of vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs Greek yoghurt
- Pour sour milk into a saucepan.
- Turn heat up to medium and let the milk start heating up – but don’t let it boil.
- Remove from the heat and add lemon or vinegar and stir gently (this helps the curd and whey separate.)
- Pour through a colander lined with a piece of muslin/cheese cloth, gently squeezing the liquid out.
- You should be left with the curds which you place in a separate bowl, season to taste and add the yoghurt.
- My cottage cheese was a little watery so I added the yoghurt to give it body! It makes a small jar of cheese and goes beautifuly on a piece of toasted rye bread, with beetroot relish and a sprinkle of chives.