It’s winter and it’s cold outside, but that ain’t going to stop me from eating one of the best foods in the world: salad. I’ve got tomato, eggplant and rocket in the garden, capsicum and feta in the fridge. Standing next to the oven is one of the warmest places in my house, so an excuse to use it is gladly welcomed. You might think that roasted vegetables on cold leafy greens wouldn’t work, but believe you me it works a treat and some recipes coming over the next few weeks will show you just how!
Preheat oven 200’C
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 1 large red capsicum
- 1 small red onion
- 2 lebanese eggplants
- sprinkle of herbs (whatever is going: thyme/rosemary/oregano)
- 200g rocket and baby spinach
- small block feta
- handful pan roasted sunflower seeds
- Slice the tomatoes into quarters, de-seed capsicum and cut into similar sized pieces.
- Slice the eggplants into 1cm thick round pieces.
- Put all veg in a baking tray, drizzle over 2 tablespoons of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and sprinkle in the herbs. Roast for 20-30 min.
- Layer veg over leafy greens, sprinkle in feta and toasted seeds.
- Enjoy with a glass of shiraz and a roast chicken!